Soyinka An Embarrassment- Patience Jonathan
Wife of the President, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, yesterday took on the Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, for attributing the crisis in the Rivers State House of Assembly to her.
In a statement by her spokesman, Ayo Osinlu, the President’s wife said Soyinka betrayed the moral duty that expected him, as a respected member of the society, to carefully consider all shades of issues that informed his opinions on any matter.
The statement read in parts, “Unfortunately, Soyinka betrayed moral duty in his recent diatribe against Mrs. Patience Jonathan.
“Of course, this would not be the first time he would reach out against the First Lady, usually from self-righteously indignant lecterns.
“In this particular instance, his verdict was that Mrs. Jonathan was ‘stoking the crisis currently rocking her home state of Rivers…’, and thereupon asked Mr. President to caution his wife.
“The good, old Prof. reminds one of the truth that indeed, most of the giants on the street are men of like passions like everyone else. Worse still, most of them are actually standing on clay feet and would fail the test of a gentle push.
“Otherwise, who would have believed that the social, civil, constitutional and sundry rights crusader Prof. would maintain a safe distance from the heart of an activity that is a potential threat to the peace, security and safety of the people of a state, then collect exaggerated stories and jaundiced perspectives from familiar propagandists and character assassins, and promptly summon the media to a “state of the nation” address.
“It’s an embarrassment to his throng of admirers and followers, that a sage of Prof. Soyinka’s status, who used to be a gauge of public morality in this nation, would lend himself to a propaganda of high drive, to save a governor who elected to launch into a river without applicable survival skills.”
Mrs. Jonathan argued that the calculation was to attack the President and pull to pieces anyone associated with him, as a strategy for attracting public sympathy to the “clear underdog.”
She said Soyinka was only contributing to the project when he claimed that she was Governor Rotimi Amaechi’s problem.
Source: Punch Newspaper
Also read the six major points Prof. Wole Soyinka raised before now.
Six Major points from Prof. Wole Soyinka Speech of Urgent National Importance:
1) President Goodluck Jonathan will be vicariously liable if Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi is killed – Nobel laureate Prof Wole Soyinka
2) Mrs Jonathan “cannot be a First Lady without first learning to be a lady.
(3) She is getting away with murder because she has the backing of her husband,” – World renowned playwright Soyinka said
4) “It’s insulting; it’s condescending. I feel, as a citizen, personally insulted. So I wonder what we have done to deserve this level of governmental banality. What is happening in Rivers is only a variation of our old familiar theme,” – Wole Soyinka
5) Five lawmakers who claimed to have “impeached” the Speaker are “the five fingers of the controlling hand”. it was wrong to refer to the so-called new “Speaker” in media reports (NTA) as if he is legitimate. “Stop treating this clown as an equal of the elected Speaker, though you can quote him. You can describe him as ‘self-declared’ speaker – Soyinka said
6) “Are we waiting for a smoke bomb to be thrown into the Governor’s Lodge before we take action?” Soyinka asked.